The University of Wageningen and Research is taking applications for its Africa Scholarship Programme (ASP) in the Netherlands from suitably qualified candidates for the 2021/2022 academic year.
The Africa Scholarship Programme was established to afford gifted and motivated candidate from Africa the chance to school at the university in Wageningen. With this program, Wageningen looks to assist in capacity building in Africa by attracting exceptional candidates for a 2-years master’s program.
The Wageningen University & Research is the only university in the Netherlands to concentrate specifically on the subject matter ‘healthy food and living environment’. They do so by operating closely with governments and the business world. The domain of Wageningen University & Research comprises of three associated core areas: Food and food production, Health, Living environment, lifestyle and livelihood.
Available scholarships: 10
Application closing date for MSc program: 15 January 2021
Start MSc program: 1 September 2021 or February 2022
Worth of Africa Scholarship Programme
- Travel to and from Wageningen
- Living allowance for 2 years
- Tuition fee
- Visa costs and expenses for health insurance
- Budget to go to one seminar/workshop in Europe
- Involvement in the ‘Reach your full potential’ program
Eligibility for Africa Scholarship Programme
The contest for scholarship awards is very high and the possibility of obtaining one is low. Only exceptional students, who can demonstrate that they are among the best 5% of their study group, will be qualified for the Africa Scholarship Programme. Given the number of applicants, only a part of these excpetional candidates will be asked to take part in the scholarship selection process(es).
The 80 percent GPA or more is a standard they uphold. In addition, they require, if applicable, a First Class honours BSc degree or related. Furthermore, reference letters and accomplishment awards can be submitted during the MSc admission procedure which may assist to prove that you are in the top 5% of your year. Also, your CV and statement of intent will be considered/evaluated.
If you do not fulfil their requirements of an exceptional, top 5%, candidate you will not be qualified for the Africa Scholarship Programme.
1. You are a national of an African nation
2. You are an exceptional candidate with a First class honours degree or a GPA of 80% or more in a Bachelor degree program
3. You have put in for one of the master’s programs of Wageningen University & Research prior to January 15th, 2021. For the Master’s application, please check: How can I apply for the master’s programme? (Non-EU/EFTA)
How to Apply for Africa Scholarship Programme
- Candidates should send the Africa Scholarship Programme application form and a letter of reference to [email protected].
- The letter of reference should if possible come from an African University which has (had) a relationship with Wageningen University in the past three years. Please ensure that the contact information of the reference are added.
- African candidates who want to commence their study in September 2021 may be qualified for the scholarship program.
In the first half of March 2021, all African candidates who have been unconditionally granted admission to an MSc program at Wageningen University will be evaluated with respect to the Africa Scholarship Programme.
A chosen group of applicants will be invited by e-mail on March 15th, 2021 to take part in the ASP selection process. Only applicants who will be notified for the ASP selection will get an e-mail. It will be publicised on the website (under step 5) when the invitations have been dispatched.
The initial step of the selection process comprises of an assignment for which the closing date will be March 31st, 2021.
After a comprehensive evaluation of all received assignments, a smaller selection of applicants will be called for the second step of the selection process, which is a Skype interview with some members of the selection committee. The Skype interviews will happen between April 19th and April 30th, 2021.
All chosen applicants who have been asked to write an assignment will be notified on April 12th, 2021 whether or not they will be called for a Skype interview.
Application for Africa Scholarship Programme ends on February 1st, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Netherlands scholarships here