The Atlantic Fellows Programme for Racial Equity welcome applications for Fellowship programs for young Changemakers from the United States and South Africa in 2021.
Fellowship in AFRE is about growing community that is built in a deep respect and admiration for diverse experiences and viewpoints and what can be built collectively.
South Africa and the United States are moulded by and linked to a complex legacy of anti-Black racism and racialised mistreatment and violence. Over the past two centuries, sponsors in the two nations have learned from and motivated each other in the effort to attain full equality. AFRE builds upon—and strengthens— this rich record of exchange by putting in place a global space for leaders to come together to discover, imagine, experiment and build long-standing solutions for impactful change.
Fellowship in AFRE is grounded in a profound respect and acknowledgement of diverse experiences and standpoints and what can be built collectively. Every year they take in 20 exceptional change-makers from South Africa and the United States into the fellowship program, which comprises an 18 months-long, non-residential experience that creates knowledge and aptitude to efficiently address the causes of racial inequality and to visualize more equitable futures.
The experience is immersive and discourse-based, with virtual involvement and some foreign travel. It is designed to support Fellows’ personal development as leaders who are rooted in deep self-consciousness, resilience, mutual support and collective responsibility, while also enabling new understandings and solidarities to arise across sector, individuality, and nationality. Projects are utilised as tools to cultivate novelty, teamwork and creative problem solving. The Atlantic Fellows Programme is run by a global team of staff and organizers from the Nelson Mandela Foundation and Columbia University.
In the present situation of the pandemic, there is indecision about the exact dates for next year as their programming will be reliant on travel and other limitations. However, they expect that the program will be a mixture of virtual and in-person meetings, and that the initial two modules in 2021 will take the form of virtual retreats (VR). They will gather for 2 to 3 hours in every Thursday of August and October 2021
Worth of Atlantic Fellows Programme
AFRE Atlantic Fellows Programme backs Fellows’ involvement and leadership growth through:
- Global travel and accommodations in South Africa and the US
- Technical equipment to enable involvement in virtual programming
- Professional coaching, interaction and financial resources to progress racial equity projects
- Communications services for public identity-growth, like a headshot, bio, and media training
- USD $10,000 in funding to provide personal expenses linked with membership
- Access to Columbia University syllabi after graduation
- Association with an international community of Atlantic Fellows working for change
Eligibility for Atlantic Fellows Programme
This program is for persons who are devoted to attaining equity, possess a track record of substantial impact, and deeply value discourse with, and learning from, diverse viewpoints and voices as a crucial step towards attaining societal change. There are no academic qualifications needed to apply.
Their Fellows share the following featured. They are:
- Knowledgeable in their area of work with a track record of influence in advancing racial equity
- Proposing work with the prospect to substantially advance the growth of new policy, institutions and/or accounts for greater equity
- Prepared and able to traverse and learn from diversity and intricacy on a local and international scale
- Devoted to working with and assisting others to attain personal and collective impact.
How to Apply for Atlantic Fellows Programme
- Applications are taken through the online platform.
- Requests for email submissions must be sent to [email protected]
Applications for Atlantic Fellows Programme will end by 11:59pm SAST/4:59pm EST on the 20th of January, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other USA scholarships here