DAAD in association with the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is taking applications for the DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany for DAAD-Alumni from Sub-Saharan Africa in 2021.
The aim of the DAAD postdoctoral fellowships is to offer opportunities to DAAD alumni of the In-Country/In-Region program to carry out, under the guidance of their host institutions, joint research at a German school or other research institutions. The program is structured to supplement opportunities for post-doctoral researchers from Sub-Saharan Africa.
The purpose for fellows is to undergo research during the tenure of the award. The project cannot be a reworking or mere extension of the applicant’s doctoral research project. That means:
- The fellowship program should advance the candidate’s research profile.
- The host and the applicants should have established close communication and come up with a concrete research plan.
- The execution of the fellowship program must contribute to promoting exchange between German and Sub-Saharan African schools.
The program is financed by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Worth of DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships
The fellowship consists of a
- monthly payment of 2.000 EUR.
- one-time payment of travel stipend. The flat-rate travel stipend will be specified in the letter of award.
- monthly coverage of an accident, personal liability and health insurance.
The DAAD will try to transfer/pay out the first payments as fast as possible after the scholarship award holder has gotten to the host institution. However, it is advised to come with a financial reserve for the first time period.
The travel stipend and the honorarium provide all expenses arising from and in connection with the travel and stay. This may be, for instance, visa fees, expenses for health checks or vaccinations, baggage expenses or luggage insurance and taxable charges.
Please note that programs which last for up to six months do not provide for families to join the award holder and therefore the DAAD does not pay any family stipends.
At the end of the fellowship program, the fellow has to submit a detailed report on the findings of the research co-signed by the hosting researcher and give additional information on future co-operation and academic undertakings.
Eligibility for DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships
- need to be Alumni of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) within the In-Region/In-Country Scholarship award Program for Sub-Saharan Africa.
- should have concluded their PhD degree not over six years ago.
- should have an academic position at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- need to be invited by a German host institution (please be aware: DAAD does not
provide or introduce host institutions).
- need to be nationals of a Sub-Saharan African nation.
- Female candidates and applicants from less privileged regions or groups are particularly encouraged to take part in the program.
- Applications may come from all fields with strong significance to national or regional development.
How to Apply for DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships
The credentials to be submitted for the DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships in Germany are:
- DAAD application form, duly filled.
- Curriculum Vitae (please make use of the Europass specimen form at
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu), comprising a list of publications (if applicable).
- Letter of Motivation.
- Invitation letter of from a German host institution.
- Research proposal (at least 5 pages).
- Comprehensive time and work plan (which should have been arranged in advance with the host researcher in Germany).
- Validation from a German professor stating that he/she will host the candidate during the stay.
- 2 letters of recommendation by academic referees.
- PhD certificate (endorsed as a true copy of the original certificate).
- Award Letter from past DAAD scholarship that specifies your personal identification number (PKZ-/ID-number).
The application closing date is July 1, 2021, for fellowship programs starting on November 1, 2021.
Not interested in DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowships? See other Germany scholarships here