The University of York in the United Kingdom is providing the Equal Access Scholarships for candidates who are seeking asylum in the UK and looking to pursue an undergraduate degree program in 2021.
Established on principles of distinction, equality and opportunity for all, the University of York began operations in 1963 with just 230 scholars. Since then they have become one of the world’s leading universities, carving out a reputation as an academic powerhouse where a clear focus on excellence has secured national and international recognition alongside longer-established institutions.
A member of the elite Russell Group of universities, they are a dynamic, research-intensive university committed to the development of life-saving discoveries and new technologies to tackle some of the most pressing global challenges.
Presently, there are more than thirty academic departments and research units and the student body has increased to almost 16,000.
Worth of Equal Access Scholarships at University of York
The Equal Access Scholarships provide:
- a full fee waiver (you will not need to pay any tuition fees)
- a maintenance award of up to £10,660 to help with living costs
Eligibility for Equal Access Scholarships at University of York
To be considered for the Equal Access Scholarships, you must:
- have discretionary or limited leave to remain in the UK or
- be a dependent or partner of someone with discretionary or
- limited leave to remain or
- you or your parent/carer or partner have handed in an asylum or humanitarian protection application and not yet gotten a decision from the Home Office on that application*
- have put in for asylum on arrival in the United Kingdom, and before you have put in for admission at university
- be unable to access mainstream UK student funding due to your immigration status, ie you are not eligible for Student Finance for the 2021/22 academic year
- not have completed an undergraduate degree
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer for an undergraduate course at York of up to four years duration
- have made University of York your university of first choice (firm choice) via UCAS.
*If you have prior to now been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection Status, you can put in for financial assistance from Student Finance England (gov.uk).
This is a competitive process. Two applicants will each receive the undergraduate award.
A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees.
When assessing your application, the panel will consider:
That you meet the eligibility criteria as outlined above
Equal Access Scholarships at University of York – How to Apply
- You are required to apply online for this scholarship award using their scholarship award application form (available on their web page)
- As part of the application, you will need to provide:
- a personal statement of no more than 500 words explaining why you would like to be considered for the scholarship
- evidence of the current status of your application for asylum or humanitarian protection
- This process is a competitive one and only two candidates will be chosen
- A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees.
You may be asked to provide an additional reference in support of your application from a school, college, community or voluntary group, in addition to your UCAS reference. They will get in touch with you directly if they require this.
They advise that you get your supporting statement ready before you begin your application. Their panel will carefully assess your supporting statement when considering your application for the scholarship. In 600 words or less please tell them:
- Why you want to study at York
- How this scholarship and your chosen course will help you achieve your ambitions for the future
- How you hope to contribute to society in the future, following your studies.
Deadline: You must submit your application form before the deadline of April 19, 2021.
Not interested in Equal Access Scholarships at University of York? See other UK scholarships here