Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics (FASPE) in Germany invite applications for the FASPE Journalism Fellowship in 2021.
FASPE Journalism Fellowship is an intensive, two-week study program in professional ethics and ethical leadership. FASPE is not a Holocaust studies program, neither is it a genocide prevention program. Instead, the syllabus is structured to challenge Fellows to critically investigate constructs, recent developments and matters that raise ethical concerns in their professions in modern settings in which they operate.
FASPE Journalism Fellowship challenges its Fellows to acknowledge their responsibility to function as ethical leaders in their professions in journalism and the media. FASPE starts by looking at the actions and choices of German and foreign journalists in covering and backing Nazi policies. FASPE then builds on this historical model to assist Journalism Fellows understand their role and responsibility as persons with influence in their communities and to make them to identify and tackle the ethical issues presently facing journalists and media institutions generally.
FASPE Journalism Fellows now function as editors, nonfiction writers, reporters, broadcasters, photojournalists, and other professionals, across a broad range of media. Via their shared FASPE experience, Fellows establish long-lasting relationships and deep bonds that develop over time. Journalism Fellows take part in formal and informal networks that offer support all through their careers.
Worth of FASPE Journalism Fellowship
- Every year, FASPE Journalism awards fellowship awards to 14 to 16 journalism candidates and early-career journalists.
- Selected Fellows spend two weeks in Berlin and Poland, where they go to key sites of Nazi history and take part in daily workshops led by specialized faculty. The program combines the power of place with academic objectivity and many informal chances for creative exchange.
- FASPE builds on a large pool of candidates, whose various backgrounds and interests enhance discussions both inside and outside the seminar room.
- Journalism Fellows go on trips with Business and Law Fellows, enabling them to widen their comprehension of the role of professionals over shared meals and undertakings and in a lot of interdisciplinary seminars.
- FASPE Fellowship programs are fully funded so that financial constraint does not affect involvement.
Eligibility for FASPE Journalism Fellowship
- FASPE Journalism Fellowship candidates have to be interested in journalism as a career and fit into one of the following two categories:
- be registered in a graduate program of any type and intending to work as a journalist;
- be working as a journalist with an undergraduate degree qualification in any field obtained between May 2015 and May 2020 or a graduate degree program in any field obtained between May 2019 and January 2021.
- FASPE is looking Fellows who are about to begin their career as professionals, are willing to engage in discussions with their co-Fellows and faculty, and who possess the academic and emotional maturity to unpack tough and controversial matters responsibly and respectfully in small group settings.
- FASPE chooses its Fellows based on their academic background, personal and professional experiences, aptitude for leadership and skills to add to the program and the alumni community.
- All applications are welcome and evaluated.
How to Apply for FASPE Journalism Fellowship
Applications for the 2021 Fellowship programs start by August 31, 2020. FASPE makes use of an online application system via Submittable. All applications have to be submitted via the FASPE Submittable application website. To make sure that you have the smoothest experience in applying, please ensure to first go through all instructions below meticulously.
2021 Program Dates
May 21, 2021 – June 4, 2021: Business, Journalism and Law
June 11, 2021 – June 25, 2021: Medical and Seminary
For additional about their five fellowship programs, please check the descriptions under the Programs tab.
The application closing date for all programs is Wednesday, January 6, 2021
To verify your eligibility for a FASPE program, please check the program for which you are interested in the Programs tab.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Germany scholarships here