The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in the United Kingdom is granting the Jeroen Ensink Memorial Scholarship award program for MSc in Public Health for Development in the 2021/22 academic year.
After the demise of Jeroen Ensink on 29 December 2015, the School created the Jeroen Ensink Memorial Scholarship award to assist students from sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia who are devoted to improving public health in low- or middle- income nations and wish to commence the MSc Public Health for Development program.
Worth of Jeroen Ensink Memorial Scholarship
A full scholarship covers:
- full-time overseas tuition fees for 2020-21 (with the compulsory field trip fee);
- flights from the candidate’s home nation to the United Kingdom, and return on expiry of the scholarship program (to be booked by the Scholarship awards team in Registry); and
- a tax free living allowance of GBP 17,175.00.
Eligibility for Jeroen Ensink Memorial Scholarship
To be qualified for a Jeroen Ensink Memorial Scholarship, candidates must:
- have been admitted onto the 2020-21 MSc Public Health for Development program; and
- have displayed a devotion to WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene); and
- be a national of one of the following sub-Saharan African or South Asian nations: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Angola; Botswana; Benin; Burkina Faso; Bhutan; Burundi; Cape Verde; Cameroon; Chad; Central African Republic; Comoros; Democratic Republic of Congo; Republic of Congo; Equatorial Guinea; Djibouti; Ethiopia; Eritrea; Gabon; Ghana; Gambia; Guinea-Bissau; Guinea; India; Kenya; Ivory Coast; Liberia; Lesotho; Malawi; Madagascar; Maldives; Mauritania; Mali; Mauritius; Namibia; Mozambique; Niger; Nepal; Pakistan; Nigeria; Rwanda; Seychelles; São Tomé and Príncipe; Sierra Leone; Senegal; Somalia; South Africa; South Sudan; Sri Lanka; Swaziland; Sudan; Tanzania; Uganda; Togo; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
- Preference will be afforded to those candidates with experience or interest in the area of water, sanitation, hygiene and public health.
- Candidates are required to meet the School’s minimum English Language adeptness Requirements if shortlisted for this funding.
How to Apply for Jeroen Ensink Memorial Scholarship
Candidates should follow both steps specified below by the scholarship closing date.
Step 1: Apply for study for the MSc Public Health for Development, through the School’s Admissions portal.
- Please make sure that all the required supporting documents have been added to your study application before the Scholarship closing date.
- Candidates are advised to communicate with their referees as early as possible in the application period, informing them of this closing date.
- It is the responsibility of the candidate to make sure that their references have been submitted by the scholarship award deadline.
Step 2: Tender a Scholarship Application, through the School’s Online Scholarship award Application, stating that you are applying for the 2020-21 Jeroen Ensink Memorial Fund Scholarship award. As part of this application, you must upload
- a complete Curriculum Vitae (CV), and
- a statement of purpose of a maximum of 1,000 words. Your statement of purpose is expected to address the following:
- a concise biography of your life and career, clarifying your devotion to WASH, and
- your motives for picking the MSc Public Health for Development, and
- your future plans and goals in the area of public health.
- Candidates are required to submit both CV and the statement of purpose with their scholarship application to be given consideration for this funding, even though they may have previously submitted a statement with their admission application.
- Candidates may decide to tailor this statement for the funding.
- Candidates should note that their application for this scholarship program may be reviewed together with the credentials submitted for their application to the MSc Public Health for Development program.
Applications and all required supporting documents have to be gotten by midnight (BST) on 23:59 (BST) on Tuesday, March 30, 2021.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other UK scholarships here