Margaret McNamara Educational Grants (MMEG) scholarship award applications for female candidates from emerging nations is to assist women to achieve their education with the objective of enhancing the lives of these women and children. Awards will be used in schools in the United States and Canada.
The Margaret McNamara Educational Grants (MMEG) offers awards to women from emerging nations to assist them to further their education and reinforce their leadership skills to enhance the lives of women and children in developing nations. Around $15,000 Education awards are granted to women from developing and low and middle-income nations who, upon attainment of their degree, plan to return to or remain in their nations, or other developing nations, and work to enhance the lives of women and/or children.
The establishment gains inspiration from Margaret McNamara, and her dream of education and gender equality. Margaret made use of her influence as spouse of Robert McNamara, the World Bank’s fifth President, to campaign for the recognition and insertion of these crucial elements of development programs. Before her demise, she was granted the highest civilian award in the United States, the Medal of Honor, in acknowledgement of her crucial contributions.
The Margaret McNamara Educational Grants (previously referred to as MMMF) is a non-profit, public charity established in 1981, which bestows education grants to excellent women from developing nations, who are a minimum of 25 years old, and registered at universities in the United States, Canada and some universities in South Africa and Latin America.
Education awards are granted to women from developing and low and middle-income nations who, upon attainment of their degree, plan to work in, or with, an emerging nation to improve the lives of women and/or children. They encourage MMEG beneficiaries to notify other prospective candidates about the grant, and to network with other beneficiary alumnae.
Margaret McNamara Educational Grants
- Type – Undergraduate
- Organisation – Margaret McNamara Educational Grants (MMEG)
- Country to study – Canada, United States
- Course to study – Not specified
- State of Origin
- Gender – Women
- Application Deadline – January 15 (Annually)
Benefits of Margaret McNamara Educational Grants
Approximately $15,000 per scholarship recipient
NB: The grant is a onetime award to last for the duration of study
Eligibility for Margaret McNamara Educational Grants
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be at least 25 years old at time of application deadline (see specific regional program application below);
- Be a national of a country listed on the MMEG Country Eligibility List;
- Be registered at a recognized academic institution when handing in your application; and plan to be registered for a full academic term after provision of the grant by the Board;
- Not be related to a World Bank Group, International Monetary Fund or Inter-American Development Bank staff member or spouse;
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, an applicant must:
- Before now be registered as a full time candidate, with applicable student visa in national passport, and intend to continue studying full time in the following academic year;
- not possess US nationality or permanent residency (green card) or Canadian nationality or Canadian landed immigrant standing
How to Apply for Margaret McNamara Educational Grants
Interested and qualified? Visit Margaret McNamara Educational Grants (MMEG) website on mmeg.embark.com to submit an application.
Do not forget to go through the Application Checklist & FAQs before applying, and when applying (after creating an account), choose “US-Canada program” in the first question of the application. If the program name is not visible, the program may be closed to fresh applications.
The results will be publicised on their web page in early April. Successful candidates will be informed personally.
Important Notes: Please be certain to submit ALL documents as specified. Only complete applications will be accepted.
For more details, visit MMEG website
- January 15 (Annually)
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Canada scholarships here