Spanish Student Visa

Are you looking to study in Spain, and you are wondering about how to get the Spanish student visa? Spain has a long tradition of academic excellence. It is one of the most famous nations for candidates who follow an Erasmus exchange program, and also for those who seek a full-time degree.

If you make the decision to study overseas in Spain and you are from an EU/EEA nation, good news! You will not require a Spanish student visa. If you are NOT an EU/EEA national, follow the steps below and get ready to apply for your Spanish Student Visa:

1. Apply to a Spanish university and get your admission letter

If you are still not unsure about where you want to study in Spain, you will have to make the decision before you can commence your student visa application procedure. After getting admitted at a Spanish university, you’ll get an admission letter needed for the visa application.

Listed below are some of the most famous academic fields in Spain:

  • Master’s degrees in Economics in Spain 
  • Master’s degrees in Political Science in Spain 
  • Master’s degrees in Business Administration in Spain 
  • Master’s degrees in Design in Spain 
  • Master’s degrees in Architecture in Spain 

These are some of the best universities in Spain:

  • Pompeu Fabra University
  • Autonomous University of Madrid
  • University of Valencia
  • Universidad de Jaén
  • University of Salamanca

2. Discover what type of Spanish Student Visa you need to study in Spain

Bear in mind that scholars from some nations can stay in Spain for not up to 90 days without a visa, even if they are not EU/EEA nationals. To discover if this applies to you or if you actually require a student visa, get in touch with the closest Spanish embassy in your nation.

The types of Spanish Student Visa depend on the length of your studies:

  • Short-term student visa – if you intend to school in Spain for three to six months. This type of visa cannot be extended. Scholars who take short-programs or language programs generally apply for the short-term student visa.
  • Long-term student visa – if you intend to school in Spain for over six months. You also have to put in for a residence permit within a month subsequent to your arrival.

The long-term student visa enables you to get the Spanish Resident Card (TIE), which is needed for most non-EU/EEA scholars. The TIE is a temporary permit that allows you remain in the nation for the period of your schooling. The TIE is tenable for at most one academic year and can be renewed yearly until you conclude your studies.

Keep in mind that you cannot apply for a Spanish Student Visa when you are already in Spain. You can only submit an application in your home nation, prior to your departure.

Once arrived in Spain, you cannot change the type of your visa. The only valid visa is the visa gotten from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your country.

3. When and where to apply for the Spanish Student Visa?

  • After you get admitted to a Spanish university, get in touch with the Spanish embassy/consulate in your area and review the list of documents that you require for the visa application. The needed documents may vary based on each consulate or regulations from your home nation.
  • Some embassies need you to schedule an appointment, while in other embassies, this is not required and you just need to submit the documents.
  • It is advised that you schedule or reach the embassy to submit needed credentials as soon as possible. The processing of your application for student visa can take between a few weeks and up to 3 months. Always peruse the embassy’s website for the most up-to-date estimates on processing time.

List of Spanish embassies and consulates worldwide.

4. Documents required for a Spanish Student Visa

  • Completed visa application form
  • Passport usable for the planned length of your stay in Spain
  • 2 recent passport-size photos
  • Letter of acceptance from a Spanish university
  • Details about the study program (comprehensive information regarding your selected degree within the university, like the hours of study each week)
  • Health insurance – at least a coverage equal to 30,000 EUR for the whole length of your studies
  • Evidence of financial means during your stay (at least 900 EUR/month)
  • Medical certificate
  • Visa application fee (60 EUR)
  • Criminal record certificate (granted within the last five years by the appropriate authorities in your home nation)

Find more articles on Student Resources here

Related Articles

Back to top button