Victoria University of Wellington is taking applications for the Tongarewa Scholarship award for foreign candidates in New Zealand for the 2021/2022 school session.
The Victoria University of Wellington is publicizing the Tongarewa Scholarship award to applaud the University’s commitment to its foreign student group. Qualified applicants are those either commencing their first year of an undergraduate program or commencing a postgraduate program at Victoria University of Wellington. Awardees are expected to function as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and be involved in relevant events or publicity if required.
The Tongarewa Scholarship award (“the Scholarship”) celebrates the University’s devotion to its foreign student community. It grants a range of these scholarship awards each year and is a partial fee-based award. It will be applied towards your tuition fees for one year of education. Candidates can be either getting into their first year of an undergraduate degree study or entering a postgraduate degree study at the university.
Scholarship awards are granted competitively on the basis of academic distinction. They put in to study in the year succeeding application and will be credited to tuition fees. Selected applicants may be asked to provide additional details to back their application. Awardees of the scholarship award are guaranteed an offer of accommodation in one of its Halls of Residence. This is on the condition that an accommodation application is received by the Accommodation Service by their closing date.
Worth of Tongarewa Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington
The scholarship awards range from NZ$5,000 to NZ$10,000. This is a partial fee-based scholarship award that will be paid towards your tuition fees for one year of study. Scholarship awards are granted competitively on the basis of academic distinction. They will be applied to study in the session succeeding application and will be remitted towards tuition fees.
Awardees of the Scholarship award are guaranteed an offer of accommodation in the Halls of Residence, provided that an accommodation application is obtained by the Accommodation Service by the stipulated closing date.
Eligibility for Tongarewa Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington
Applicants must be:
- foreign students who are paying complete international fees.
- Getting into their first year of an undergraduate degree program or entering a postgraduate degree program.
You are not qualified for this scholarship award if you:
- finished your high school education at a New Zealand school.
- finished the English language Proficiency Program or Foundation Studies Program.
- are a Study Overseas or Twinning student from one of their abroad partner universities.
- are in your second program year in the same degree program at Victoria University of Wellington.
How to Apply for Tongarewa Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington
- A filled out online application has to be submitted by 4.30 pm on the deadline. Late or unfinished applications will not be taken.
- Any needed supporting documentation (with references) has to also be obtained by 4.30 pm on the deadline. This is in order for the application to be given consideration.
The following documentation has to be offered as part of your online scholarship award application:
- A personal statement of up to 500 words stating why you want to school at Victoria University of Wellington. It must comprise your academic objectives and why you deserve the scholarship. You must also add any leadership positions and information of your engagement in your school or community.
- Complete transcripts and other documentation applicable to the qualification type.
- An offer of admission from Victoria University of Wellington (provisional or unconditional).
To put in for the Tongarewa Scholarship award for Trimester 2, 2021 by June 1, and also for Trimester 3 by Sept 1, visit the link on the official website.
- November 30 (For Trimester 1)
- June 1 (For Trimester 2)
- September 1 (For Trimester 3)
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other New Zealand scholarships here