Applications are invited for University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship for asylum seekers in the 2021/22 school session.
The University of Warwick is situated on the peripheries of the city of Coventry which is acknowledged as a ‘City of Sanctuary’. The ‘City of Sanctuary’ program is devoted to growing a culture of hospitality and welcome, particularly for those seeking asylum from war and persecution. The University of Warwick is devoted to creating a culture of welcome for individuals seeking refuge within, and beyond, their campus, and was successfully granted University of Sanctuary status in 2017.
For the 2021-22 school session, up to four University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship will be obtainable to students who are seeking refuge in the UK and are not able to obtain statutory student financial assistance from Student Finance England (Wales or Northern Ireland) or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland.
Worth of University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship
- Full Tuition Fee Support – Candidates will be awarded a non-repayable 100% tuition fee exemption until such time as you are granted status that allows you to obtain student finance.
- Maintenance Support – Candidates will be granted a non-repayable award equivalent to the highest government Maintenance Loan for the 2021-22 academic session (£9,203 a year if residing away from the parental home or £7,747 for those residing in the parental home) towards living expenses and course-related costs, until such time as you are granted status that allows you to access student finance.
- Also you will be given consideration for extra aid equivalent to the Warwick Bursary.
Eligibility for University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship
Candidates who do not satisfy the full requirements will not be given consideration for an award.
You are required to make sure that you satisfy one of the Asylum eligibility conditions outlined below so as to apply and all three of the Education eligibility conditions. You have to be able to submit documentary proof to confirm your circumstances in relation to each condition.
Asylum eligibility conditions (you have to meet ONE of these):
- You have pursued asylum in the United Kingdom or were added as a dependant (spouse/child) on an application for refuge. Please note: Spouses/civil partners are required to have been the spouse/civil partner on the date that the asylum application was submitted. Children/step-children are required to have been aged under 18 on the date that the asylum application was submitted.
- You have obtained a decision on your request for asylum, which has led to an award of LLR (Limited Leave to Remain), DLR (Discretionary Leave to Remain), Humanitarian Protection, or some other form of short-term status.
Education eligibility conditions (you have to also meet ALL THREE of these):
- You have put in via UCAS for a full-time place on an undergraduate program at Warwick starting in September 2021 and have firmly accepted the offer of admission on that course before putting in for a scholarship award. Please be aware that the 4-year graduate-entry MBChB program and Year 1 Foundation courses in the Warwick Business School are not qualified for University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship.
- You are not able to obtain UK Government Student Financial Support (Tuition and Maintenance Loans) due to your current immigration status.
- You have not gotten an undergraduate degree program or degree equivalent qualification from another institution or nation.
How to Apply for University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship
- Applications are now open. You can create your application with the use of the online application form.
- Receipt of your application will be confirmed through email and the application will only be taken if it is accompanied by a referee’s recommendation statement and signature.
- They may get in touch with you and/or your referee to ask for additional information or supporting credential if needed.
- You will be gotten in touch with in September 2021 to inform you of the outcome or status of your application.
The deadline for the receipt of concluded applications will be June 16, 2021.
Not interested in University of Warwick Sanctuary Scholarship? See other UK scholarships here